Residential Mail Services
Sending USPS Mail and Packages to a Campus Resident
Student’s full name
Residential hall name, Rm XXXX
Street number and street address
Blacksburg, VA 24061-(+ four codes are specific to building)
The student’s address should not have “Virginia Tech” included. This actually slows down the delivery.
If the student’s full name is not included in the address, the mail or package will be returned to the sender.
Receiving USPS Mail and Packages
- Once USPS mail and packages have arrived and been processed, Mail Services will send an email to your vt.edu email account notifying you of the arrival of your mail and USPS packages.
- Note: If the USPS website tracking notes "package status delivered" or "delivered to Agent," this means that your package has been scanned by the local Post Office and it is on its way or will be on its way to Mail Services usually within one business day.
- Visit to Owens Hall, Room 23 anytime Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. until 7 p.m.
- You must have a photo ID to pick up packages at Owens Hall, Room 23. If the name of the package does not match the ID, the package will be returned to the sender.
- USPS Mail and packages are delivered Monday through Friday.
- After 30 days, packages that are not picked up will be returned to the sender. Three email notifications will be sent to the student’s VT email account before returning to sender.
Students residing at Oak Lane will receive an email to retrieve their USPS letters and packages from the intelligent lockers located next to the Oak Lane parking lot. UPS, FedEx, and DHL packages will be delivered directly to the student's residence.
Inn at Virginia Tech and HIE (formerly Holiday Inn Express) Residents
Students living at The Inn and HIE will use the address below for USPS mail and packages. Mail Services will send an email to the student's vt.edu email account notifiying the arrival of the mail and USPS packages. UPS, FedEx, and DHL packages will be delivered directly to the student's room at the Inn or HIE.
Student's full name
Owens Hall Rm 23
150 Kent Street
Blacksburg, VA 24061-1055
Students Mailing Stamped Envelopes and Prepaid Packages
For students needing to mail a stamped envelope or prepaid package, stamped and prepaid items can be drop off at the Owens package center by 3 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Receiving UPS, FedEx, and DHL Packages
If your package is coming through UPS, FedEx, or DHL, it will be delivered directly to the student's residence hall room.
Change of Address
The university maintains several different addresses for residence hall students: local, permanent, and guardian. These addresses come from the admissions application. Student Affairs updates and maintains the local (residence hall) address for residence hall students. It is the responsibility of each residence hall student to update and/or change his or her address (except for residence hall addresses) through Hokie SPA as soon as possible after the new address is available.
Housing and Residence Life returns the local address to the permanent address at the end of spring semester or when a residence hall student moves off campus during the academic year. Residence hall students who move off campus after their freshman year must change their address through Hokie SPA; otherwise, the permanent address will be considered the local address for all university mailings.
Questions? Please contact Mail Services at email@example.com or 540-231-4085.